South African Day Trips & Adventures
At Wild Lives we arrange and run the following day trips and adventures from Johannesburg:
1-Day Pilanesberg Wildlife Photography Safari
Situated in the North West province, the Pilanesberg Game Reserve is home to a rich array of wildlife, including the Big Five, as well as a large range of vegetation. Join Jurgen for the day and experience a magical practical photography and safari outing.
We leave Johannesburg and arrive at the Pilanesberg entrance early to ensure that we are able to make the most of the early morning light and the coolness that induces early morning animal activity. Our morning game drive continues until approximately 11h00 when we stop at one of the luxury lodges, either Bakubung or KwaMaritane, for a delicious lunch and a chat about the images and photography.
After lunch, you are allowed to relax under the shade of a tree, or pool side. If you choose not to rest you are welcome to edit images or practice your photography skills on the resident camp birds and animals.
At approximately 15h00 we head out on our afternoon drive where the light and animal activity gets better as the day cools down. Our game drive lasts until the gates close, before heading back to Johannesburg.
04h00 until approx. 20h00
Lunch, snacks, soft drinks and information
Maximum people on a safari:
For 1 person: R4000 per person all-inclusive ($310)
For 2 people: R2125 per person all-inclusive ($165)
For 3 people: R1500 per person all-inclusive ($115)
Safaris are offered on a daily basis.
Pilanesberg Game Reserve
Be surrounded by the diverse African bushveld, home to lion, elephant, leopard, buffalo, black and white rhino – Africa’s Big Five. Spot antelope, giraffe, zebra, hippo, crocodile to mention but a few of the more common African species, as well as an abundance of bird life.
The popular day safari tour provides excellent opportunities for photography.
- We arrange pickup and drop off from most hotels and guesthouses in the Johannesburg/Pretoria area – your consultant will confirm an exact time.
- After an hour’s drive we have an optional stop at Hartebeespoort Dam and a quick glance at the craft markets. These craftsmen are ready to sell some of their crafts at wholesale prices. Please note this stop is time permitting and cannot always be guaranteed.
- At Pilanesberg we embark on our first game drive.
- Our first game drive lasts 2-3 hours where we search for animals stopping at watering holes and bird hides along the way. Have your cameras ready as Pilanesberg is known for good sightings all year round.
- 13h00 – We enjoy a lovely lunch at Bakubung 4 Star lodge.
- In the afternoon we will go on another game drive to spot animals we missed during the morning.
- Road transfer back to Johannesburg – drop at hotel or guesthouse at around 19h00.
An hours drive outside of Johannesburg lie the Magaliesberg Mountain Range. It is one of the earth’s oldest mountain range estimated to be around 2500 million years old.
Enjoy an adventure filled day that includes a canopy tour of the Magaliesberg. Eleven platforms have been built against the cliff and rock faces of the spectacular Ysterhout Kloof, a beautiful gorge carved out of the mountainside, and are joined by long steel cables that you slide along to reach the next platform. Much like a ‘foefie’ slide, the canopy tour essentially involves zigzagging down the kloof while stopping at each platform to admire the expansive views and surrounding ecology.
We then visit an elephant sanctuary near Hartbeespoort dam. Guests are guided on foot through the elephant sanctuary. Guides will provide in-depth information and insight into African elephants. You will be introduced to our elephants in the forest area, and here you will be able to touch and interact with the elephants.
You will see the special relationship that the elephant handlers share with their elephants and become a part of it. Walk trunk-in-hand with the elephants. See the stables where the elephants sleep at night. Guests learn about elephant anatomy and are able to feed them. Remember to wear flat walking shoes, sun hats and bring your camera.
We return back to Johannesburg at approximately 18h00.
Johannesburg Inner City
- We begin our day by visiting Gold Reef City where we take a gold tour through the variety of museums offering a peek into what life was like in the burgeoning mining camp that was Johannesburg in the 19th century. Underground tours of the mine as well as a gold-pouring demonstration are also on offer.
- We then head off to Soweto for our bungee jump. The Soweto bungee jump adds a whole new dimension to sightseeing in this famous township. Bridging the gap between adventure and township tourism, it allows visitors to enjoy one of its most famous landmarks like never before. Soweto bungee jumps and swings will have you falling head over heels for this township in no time.
- We have lunch at a traditional Soweto restaurant where you can sample some of the townships best cuisine.
- The day is concluded at Maboneng Precinct in Johannesburg – a pioneering example of how the development of an integrated, mixed-use community where people play, live and work, can define an urban way of life. The restaurants and bars offer hip and urban cuisine, a great atmosphere and a chance to sample the very popular local craft beers.
- We’ll have you back at your hotel or guesthouse by 19h00.